Returning home to a furnace system that does not switch on is a nightmare to experience in freezing winters. Wearing warm clothes can help, but they cannot provide the comfort a furnace can provide.
That’s why you should know simple troubleshooting tips to fix the system until a furnace repair expert in Monterey, CA, visits to inspect the system.
Reasons Why Your Furnace System Is Not Working
Before learning troubleshooting tips, it is essential to know why your furnace system is not working. Knowing the reason will help you find an effective solution to fix the issue without wasting time on inspection:
- Tripped Circuit Breaker: The circuit breaker trips down and cuts the electricity supply to the furnace to protect the furnace system’s internal components from damage. It can trip down if there is a surge in the incoming voltage or a faulty component.
You can restore the power by flipping back the tab. However, if it trips down again, there is bigger issue that our heater repair expert in Monterey, CA, can fix.
- The Gas Valve is Turned Off: Ensure that the gas valve shutoff handle is parallel to the gas pipe. The gas supply is shut down if the handle is perpendicular to the gas pipe. If there is not enough gas in the combustion chamber to generate heat, you may hear clicking noises and feel like the furnace is not working.
- Malfunctioning Thermostat: In some cases, the thermostat is the culprit behind the furnace system not working. Here are the following things to check if you think the fault is due to the thermostat.
1. Check the thermostat settings and ensure they are in heat mode and the fan settings are in auto mode. Do not forget to replace the batteries if you haven’t replaced them for a while.
2. Unscrew the thermostat and inspect the wiring. Ensure all the wires are properly connected and intact in their place. If you find any broken or loose wires in the circuit, call our heater repair expert in Monterey, CA, to fix the issue.
- Faulty Capacitor: A capacitor, an energy storage device, gives the furnace the required energy for the furnace motor to operate. If there is an issue with the capacitor, the furnace motor will not turn on, and you will not receive warm air.
Sometimes, it can also be due to dust accumulating in the blower motor. Clean the blower motor with a brush to remove the dust and resume functioning.
- Dirty Air Filter: Air filters are essential for indoor and furnace systems’ airflow. A dirty air filter reduces the airflow and impacts the furnace’s functioning. It is better to replace the air filter after every three months and clean it weekly to avoid furnace repair service in Monterey, CA.
- Triggered Pressure Switch: A pressure switch, a safety device, shuts down the furnace system automatically if there is an increase in the accumulation of exhaust flue gasses in the system, just like the limit switch that switches off the system if the system overheats due to excessive working.
It is advisable to consult a certified furnace repair expert in Monterey, CA, before resolving any furnace issue. Monterey Peninsula Sheet Metal & Heating technicians can help you resolve all furnace problems at any hour of the day. Call (831) 220-3745 or email us to schedule a service today!