Summer is here, and you’re likely enjoying the cool breeze from your air conditioner. But what happens when your air conditioner starts leaking water? While it’s normal for your air conditioner to produce some condensation, excessive leakage is a sign of a problem. Monterey Peninsula Sheet Metal & Heating is the leading HVAC service provider for reliable and comprehensive air conditioning installation in Monterey, CA.
Here's Our Detailed Guide To Help You Understand Why Your Air Conditioner Is Leaking Water
- Clogged Condensate Drain Line – “The Plugged Pipeline”: The most common reason for an air conditioner to leak water is a clogged condensate drain line. This pipe is responsible for draining the water that the evaporator coil produces. Over time, it can become clogged with dirt, dust, and other debris, causing the water to back up and overflow. If you hear gurgling sounds from your AC, it’s a sign of a blocked pipeline. You can try clearing it yourself using a wet-dry vacuum or pipe cleaner. But if it’s too stubborn, give us a call, and we’ll get it sorted for you.
- Clogged Air Filter – “The Dusty Culprit”: When the air filter is dirty and clogged with dust and debris, it restricts the airflow over the evaporator coil. As a result, the coil gets too cold and freezes up, causing water to overflow. It’s crucial to change your air filter regularly to prevent this from happening. A dirty air filter not only causes leaks but also reduces the efficiency of your AC, leading to higher energy bills. Check your filter every month and replace it every three months or more frequently if you have pets or allergies.
- Broken Condensate Pan – “The Cracked Container”: The condensate pan is a shallow metal or plastic tray that collects the water that drips off the evaporator coil. If the pan cracks or rusts, it can no longer hold the water, causing it to leak. A broken condensate pan needs to be replaced, which you should not attempt on your own. It requires professional assistance, and that’s where we come in. Schedule your air conditioning replacement in Monterey, CA, and we’ll install a new pan and have your AC working as well as new in no time.
- Frozen Evaporator Coil – “The Ice Age”: If your AC leaks water and blows warm air, it’s a sign of a frozen evaporator coil. When the coil freezes, it can’t absorb the heat and humidity from the air, causing water to condense and overflow. This can happen due to a dirty air filter, low refrigerant levels, or a malfunctioning blower fan. If you suspect a frozen evaporator coil, turn off your AC immediately and call us. It’s not something you want to DIY, as it could further damage your unit.
- Low Refrigerant Levels – “The Coolant Catastrophe”: Refrigerant is the substance that cools the air in your AC. If there’s a leak in the refrigerant line, the levels can drop, causing your AC to work harder and eventually freeze up. The melted ice can then overflow and cause water damage. A low refrigerant level is a severe issue that can cause your AC to break completely. Don’t wait until it’s too late; call us for air conditioning maintenance, and we’ll have you feeling relaxed in no time.
Call In The Experts
A leaking air conditioner is not only a nuisance but also a sign of potential problems that could cause severe damage to your unit. The good news is that most leaks can be prevented with regular maintenance and proper care. If you’re experiencing water leaks from your AC, try to identify the cause and take action to prevent further damage. If it’s too late for prevention, call the experts at Monterey Peninsula Sheet Metal & Heating. We specialize in air conditioning replacement and installation in Monterey, CA. We’re always here to help you stay cool and comfortable all summer.